Introduces a unique, evidence-based alternative to addiction treatment models
This award-winning book reconsiders popular notions of addictive sex. Braun-Harvey and Vigorito’s sexual health psychotherapy protocol is an innovative treatment approach for men experiencing sexual lives beyond their control. “Out of control sexual behavior” (OCSB) is defined as a sexual health problem in which consensual sexual urges, thoughts or behaviors feel out of control. As opposed to a clinical disorder, OCSB is framed as a behavioral problem within the normal range of sexual expression
The book provides step-by-step tools for assessment, treatment planning, and implementation stemming from the authors’ work with hundreds of individual and group therapy clients. OCSB treatment matches individual and group therapy interventions with current Motivational Interviewing and readiness for change research. Further, this approach emphasizes the clinician’s ethical responsibility to provide the most effective treatment while protecting client sexual rights and welcoming sexual diversity. Rich and varied composite case examples demonstrate clinical sexual health treatment conversations as well as stories of hope and guidance to understand how sexual health is an ally for changing out of control sexual behavior.
- Presents a much-needed sexual health alternative to conventional thinking about assessing and treating out of control sexual behavior.
- Posits OCSB as a sexual health behavior problem rather than a process addiction or psychosexual disorder.
- Promotes sexual health principles as the framework to envision and guide men’s sexual behavior change.
- Includes a practical, step-by-step pathway model to assess and treat OCSB.
- Organize a wide range of best practice clinical interventions for individual and group psychotherapy.
- Includes composite case examples demonstrating successful treatment outcomes.
Foreword by Dr. Carlo DiClemente, co-developer of the Transtheoretical Model for health behavior change.